Normally unpacking is not nearly as stressful as packing, but it can also be frustrating. Here are a few simple tips to make it less of a chore and a little easier on the entire family.
- Clean Before you Move: Keeping in mind not everyone cleans the same way. The previous owners may have cleaned before they left, but by giving your new home a thorough cleaning you are making sure it is move-in ready for you and your family.
- Stock Up: Did I mention this is Arizona? Stocking up on lots of water and your favorite drinks will keep you and your family both hydrated and comfortable for the task ahead. Also take the opportunity to stock the bathrooms with toilet paper, put paper towels in the kitchen, and make sure there are plenty of snacks for everyone.
- Big First: When everything arrives, make sure the larger pieces are placed in the appropriate rooms, then the boxes. Assemble the furniture first (beds, tables, etc.).
- Keep it Simple: The kids will want to rip through the process, but make it easy for them by assigning 1 or 2 boxes for them to unpack. Try starting with their bathroom, then move to clothing, toys, and so on.
- Take lots of Breaks: By taking frequent breaks you will be able to check your progress and prioritize what is next.
- Take your time: Not everything needs to be unpacked the very first day.
- Set a deadline: Try to get most of your unpacking done in the first week. There are some things that can wait, but set a deadline to finish everything up.
- Admire your work: Once it's done celebrate, and enjoy your new home. Have a party, invite family, neighbors and friends over and celebrate together.
Yea, we did it. Got things done and removed some of the stress along the way.